If you have not already, you will fall in love with eggplant after this dish! This is a relatively easy dish to prepare, and very very very yummy! It is definite a must try. This recipe was adapted from here.
1. Eggplant – 2 big (or 4 medium), cubed
2. Onion – 1 big, (sliced)
3. green chillies – 2, chopped
4. Ginger- Garlic- 1 tbspn, minced or paste
5. Tomatoes – 5 medium, chopped small
6. Mustard seeds, and cumin seeds – 1 tspn each
7. Sesame seeds – 3 tbspn
8. Peanuts – 2 tbspn
9. Kashmiri chilli powder - 1-2 tspn , tumeric powder - 1 tspn
10. Oil - ½ cup and 1 tbspn
1. Dry roast the sesame seeds, and peanuts in a skillet. Remove from skillet, and grind when cool.
2. Add ¼ cup oil to the skillet, and shallow fry the eggplant pieces. You will notice the skin changes colors, that’s when you know it is done. Fry them in batches and add oil as required. Scoop it out, and keep it aside.
3. In the same skillet (add around 1 tbspn oi if needed), add mustard,and cumin seeds. Once it splutters, add the onion slices, green chillies, and ginger-garlic and mix it all together.
4. Once the onion slices becomes soft, and translucent, add the tomato cubes.
5. Once the tomato gets mushy, add red chilli powder, turmeric powder the ground sesame-peanut mix.
6. At this point you can stir in the fried eggplant pieces. Mix it all together. Add about 1/2 to 1 cup water, cover and cook till the eggplant pieces become soft. Enjoy with rice or chapathi!