This recipe is from my mother in law, and she has been famously making this for more than 10 years.
I appreciate this dish due to its simplicity. It is packed with lots of flavor, and is so yummy making it a guaranteed winner for any occasion!
It goes best with appam, but you can also enjoy it just as well with white bread!
1. Pomfret – 4.3 pounds, cut and cleaned.
2. Ginger – 1.3 oz
3. Garlic – around 15 cloves
4. Masala mix: cloves – around 25, cinnamon stick- 5 inch total. Grind into fine powder
5. Turmeric – 1 tspn
6. Green chillies – 3
7. Onion- 2 big. Chop into big chunks (see pic)
8. Tomato – 3 (chop into big chunks as show in pic below)
9. Coconut milk -13.5 oz, 3 cans
10. Cilantro – 1 cup (washed, and chopped)
11. Salt – add to taste
12. Oil – around 2 tbspn
1. Grind ginger, and garlic to a fine paste.
2. Heat around 2 tbspn of oil, add ginger-garlic paste, green chillies, and the ground masala powder. Saute till the raw masala smell is gone (around 2 mins).
3. Add onion, turmeric powder, and salt to this. Cook this till the garlicky smell is gone (around 5 mins on medium flame)
4. Shake and add one can coconut milk to this onion mix. Let this cook till onion becomes soft.
5. Once onion is cooked, add 1 cans of coconut milk. And then the fish pieces. You want all the fish pieces to be immersed in the coconut milk.Add another can of coconut milk.
6. Place the tomato chunks on top of the curry. Let this cook till the fish is fully cooked, around 15-20 mins on medium flame.
7. Add the chopped cilantro. Let the fish molee boil for around 15 seconds, turn off the heat! Enjoy!