I have prepared this stuffed chicken quite a few times now. And each time it came out very good. It might look daunting, at least it did when I first saw it here, but these are all very easy steps to follow.
1. Chicken breasts – 3
2. Onion – 1 big, chopped
3. Baby Spinach –3 cups
4. Walnuts – ¼ cup
5. Ricotta – 3 tbspn, fat-free
6. White wine – ¼ cup
7. Salt, pepper – for seasoning chicken
8. Spice powder – Dry roast and grind the following spices: almonds – 2 tspn, peppercorns – ¼ tspn, red chilli – 4 dried, cloves -2, cardamom pods -2, cinnamon stick -1/4 inch, and fennel seeds – ½ tspn. (I made extra powder for later use as you can see from the pic below)
9. Oil – 3 tspn
1. Toast walnuts in a pan, and keep aside.
2. Heat around 1 tspn oil in the same pan, add the chopped onion. Once it is translucent, add the ¼ tspn of the spice mix , and the spinach.
3. Once the spinach is wilted, take the spinach mix off the heat, and let it cool
4. Once it is completely cooled off, add the ricotta cheese, and toasted walnuts.
5. Next rub pepper and salt on each side of the chicken breast, and brown it in the same pan, with little oil (around 2 tspn), on all sides.
6. Once the chicken is cool enough slit one side just enough (make sure not slit it all the way) and stuff the spinach ricotta mix. Rub the remaining spice mix on all sides of the chicken sides.
7. Pour the white wine in a baking pan, and arrange the stuffed chicken pieces in it. With a spoon take little wine from bottom and pour over the chicken pieces. This helps to keep chicken moist.
8. Bake for 40-50 mins and 375F. It is ready to be enjoyed with salad or sauted vegetables on the side.