I love Masala Dosa! The crispy masala dosa you get at indian restaurants along with a side of chutney is so yummy! I have made this potato masala quite a number of times, so it is with confidence that I share this recipe! I adapted it from here.
1. Potato – 750 gms, around 4 medium
2. Onion – 2 medium, sliced
3. Green chillies – 4, chopped
4. Ginger – 2 inch, minced
5. Curry leaves – 4-5
6. Asafoetida -1/4 tspn
7. Mustard seeds – 1 tspn
8. Green peas -12 oz (340 gms)
9. (Optional) Urad dal, chana dal – each 1.5 tspn
1. Wash the potato, and cut it into 2-4 pieces each. Place them in a vessel with sufficient water, add 1.4 tspn turmeric, and let boil till tender (a fork will easily go through). Rinse in cold water, peel and throw the skin, and mash the potato.
2. In the meantime, heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add asafoetida, chana dal, and urad dal (these dals make the masala crunchy, so if you do not like it that way, then avoid the dals).
3. Once the dals turn slightly brown, add onion slices, green chillies, ginger, curry leaves, and salt to taste.
4. Keep sautéing till the onion slices turn translucent. Add ¾ tspn turmeric powder, and green peas.
5. Once the peas gets cooked (looks dented), add the mashed potato, and mix well. Let this cook for a few minutes. Enjoy with dosa!