1. Mutton – thigh or shoulder piece with bones, 6 pounds (I used thigh piece)- 6 lbs
2. White onions- 4 medium sliced
3. Red Onions- 2 medium
4. Ginger - 6 oz, chopped coarsely
5. Garlice - 50 cloves, chopped coarsely
6. Green chillies - 7 long, minced
7. Biriyani masala – 2 tbspn
8. Meat masala – 2 tbspn
9. Butter -1.5 sticks (unsalted)
10. Yogurt - 4 tbspn
11. Turmeric- 1 tspn
13. Mint leaves - 10 large leaves
14. Cilantro, 1 bunch, chopped
15. Lemon juice – squeeze ½ big size lemon
16. Basmati rice - 6 cups
17. Garnish (optional) – cashews, raisins
1. Remove any excess fat from the mutton, clean, and keep aside.
2. Grind ginger, and garlic. To marinate the meat, mix ginger-garlic paste, yogurt, turmeric, biriyani masala, and meat masala, keep aside.
3. Fry the white onions in ½ cup oil, and butter. This is a time consuming process. It goes from dark brown to getting burnt really quick, so make sure to watch it carefully, and scoop them out once dark brown. Keep them aside
4. In the same oil, fry the red onions (you might want to use a taller/bigger vessel as we will be adding the marinated meat, so will need extra space). Once light brown, add mutton, fresh mint leaves, followed by ¼ of the fried white onions (from step 3).
5. Let this cook, do not add any water. It will release enough water to cook. This will take around 1 hr at low to medium flame. Before turning off the heat make sure it is cooked, if not, let it cook longer.
6. During this time, you can prepare the rice. If using rice cooker mix 1 cup rice to 1.5 cups water. Else add enough water to sufficiently immerse the rice. Add whole spices, like cinnamon stick, anise, cloves, salt and cook the rice.
7. Turn the heat off, before it gets fully cooked (or too soft).
8. In a tray pan, add the cooked meat mixture at the bottom, layer it with mint leaves, cilantro, 2 tspsn lemon juice, and then rice. I used two trays, so had to portion everything into two.
9. Cover with foil, and cook for 30 mins at 350F.
10. Let it sit for few minutes before removing foil, mix all the layers together. You can top it off with some raisins, and nuts sautéed in ghee.
11. Enjoy with raitha and pickle on the side.