- Onion - 1 medium, diced
- Carrot - 1 large, diced
- Masoor dal/green lentils - 1.5 cups (washed, and strained)
- Garlic cloves - 4-5, minced
- Cumin powder - 1.5 tspn
- Olive oil - 2 tbpsn
- Salt- to taste
- Heat olive oil in a thick bottomed vessel, add onions. Let it cook till its soft, and slightly brown. You can expedite this step by adding 1/2 tspn salt.
- Add carrots, and garlic to the onions. Let it cook till the garlicky smell disappears, around 1 minute.
- Add lentil, and cumin powder. After mixing it all together, add 4 cups of water ( I added around 6 which was too much, I had to boil it with the lid open at the end, to remove excess water).
- Increase the flame so it boils. Once it starts boiling, you can reduce the flame, and cover and cook till lentils are completely cooked. This will take about 30-45 minutes.
- You can mash the lentils after it is cooked.
- Serve with fresh chopped cilantro.