I am always on the lookout for recipes that include vegetables that I have not cooked before. So when I came across this recipe at yummyoyummy blog, I wanted to give it a try. It is simple, and a tasty side dish with rice.
- Bottle Gourd – 1 medium, wash, peel skin, and cube
- Chana Dal – 1-1.5 cups
- Ginger-garlic paste- 1tspn
- Green chillies- 2, chopped
- Tomato – 2 medium, chopped
- Cilantro leaves- 1 bunch, chopped
- Cumin seeds- 1 tspn
- Mustard seeds- 1 tspn
- Chilly powder – 1 tspn
- Coriander powder - 1 tspn
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tspn
- Oil – 3tspn
- Salt- to taste
- Cook chana dal (add enough water to cover them) in a pressure cook for 3-4 whistles or 30-40 mins.
- Empty the cooker, and cook the bottle gourd cubes in the pressure cooker for 2-3 whistles or in a vessel until it gets soft.
- Heat oil in a vessel, and splutter the mustard seeds. Add the cumin seeds, ginger–garlic paste, masala powders, and the tomato pieces.
- Once water oozes out of the tomatoes (10-15mins), add the chopped cilantro leaves.
- To this mix, add the cooked chana dal, and the cooked bottle gourd pieces along with the water it was cooked in. Let the curry cook for few more minutes.
Enjoy this with rice or hot chapathis!