Pumpkin curry is usually made once a year at home as part of our traditional onam lunch. SO I was excited to try this curry, and was very happy when our friends enjoyed it. It is very simple, and easy to follow. I got this recipe from http://yummyoyummy.blogspot.com/.
Here is the recipe:
- Pumpkin (Mathanga) - 500 gm, diced
- Red Chori (Vanpayar) - 1.5 cups, cooked
- Green Chillies - 3-4, slit sideways
- Grated coconut - 1 cup
- Garlic- 4 cloves
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tspn
- Chilli powder - 1/2 tspn
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tspn
- Dry red Chillies - 4
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tspn
- Curry leaves - 7-8
- Oil - 2tbpsn
- Salt- to taste
- Place the pumpkin cubes in a vessel, green chillies, chilli and turmeric powder, salt, along with enough water to cook it.
- Meanwhile, grind 1/4 cup of the grated coconut, garlic, and cumin seeds together, and keep aside.
- Add the ground coconut paste, cooked red chori to the now ready pumpkin.
- In another vessel heat oil, add the mustard seeds. After it splutters, add the red chillies, remaining grated coconut, and the curry leaves. Roast the coconut mixture till it is brown as shown in the picture
5. Add this mixture to the pumpkin, and mix well. Add salt to taste.